Monday, May 9, 2011

The Simplicity of Grace

Another day in the ever-rising humidity level city of Daegu. At the end of almost every day I walk to the gym at around 9pm where students in their school uniforms roam the streets. When I get out the gym at around 11pm and walk home, still to find young students around the ages of 8 to 16 just coming home from a full day of school.

Daegu is widely known as the biggest education city in South Korea. There are several large Universities and usually everywhere you look in the crowded, lighted streets are Math and English Academies. This city is a factory, mass producing brilliant young machines to build the booming economy of SKorea.



In my experience of hanging out with young people here, they have shared with me some of their rigorous weekly schedules that often included extreme early mornings, full-day schooling with up to 2 academies in the evening for desert. Oh and then when they get home at around 11pm, they are to finish their homework and prepare for the next day.

One would hope that the church would be a great opportunity for these young people to find rest for their minds, encouragement for their hearts and fuel for their souls but unfortunately this, more often then not isn't the case. Church seems to be just another boring academy where we try to pump them with information, often disconnecting the Christian life with real-life challenges and pains.

I for one have had to break through this strenuous, machine-like mentality of the church. As a missionary and staff of Dreem Church I have built up quite the weekly list of services to this church. Without making this sound self-serving, that I somehow am more spiritual on the basis of how much I give (which is a tendency!), I constantly have to keep my relationship with Jesus in check. It is all too easy to float through just another week of church work, teaching and preaching the bible, teaching non-christians English and leading worship with enthusiasm. These days I've discovered my auto-pilot in ministry.



Thankfully, God is a good Dad who keeps reminding me that its all about relationship with him. I'm convinced this is really why I was sent to Korea in the first place, that I would grow deeper in love, truth and intimacy with my Creator, Savior and Dad. I was not called to a people or to a place, I was called to a person. His name is Jesus.

Its too easy to judge the church and I sometimes I hate my critical spirit. I guess I just really want to see the church be all that Jesus intended it to be. I want people to come into the church and feel the freedom and grace that is freely offered. Often we come with hands full rather then hands empty in need of receiving. It is when I come in my nothingness and humility that I experience the simpleness of church. A group of rebellious and often religious children with a good Dad. A bunch of sheep in desperate need of a faithful Shepherd.



Please be praying for the church in South Korea. We have the religious zeal here but lack the simplicity of grace that sets us free from the guilt and condemnation that comes from religiosity. I can't tell you how many people have said to me "I feel God is mad at me" after sinning or even just missing church. The beauty of grace is that it is free, we all don't deserve it because we're all flawed and incomplete. God accepts us because we accept that Jesus took our sin upon himself. This results in a wonderful freedom and a community of excited people.

Oh that we might be this people!

Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need. Hebrews 4:16




1 comment:

  1. Man, I can hear your heart. I definitely agree that there is a reason why God sent you to Korea. I wanna show appreciation to you as a Korean that you are showing and teaching GRACE to Korean church and young people. Thanks mate~!!!:)

    ReplyDelete